2015 GMC CANYON 4WD SLE QUICK TAKES
2015 GMC CANYON 4WD SLE CREW LONG BOX QUICK TAKES
- All-new midsize truck with class-leading capabilities and GMC’s signature refinement
- Segment’s best horsepower – 200 hp for the standard 2.5L and 305 hp for the available 3.6L V-6
- Maximum trailering rating of 7,000 pounds (V-6 models with available trailering package)
- Segment-best fuel economy of 27 mpg highway for 2.5L 2WD models and 26 mpg highway for 3.6L 2WD models
- Enhanced IntelliLink with Text Messaging Alerts and Siri Eyes
- OnStar 4G LTE with standard built-in W-Fi hotspot – includes 3GB/three-month data trial
- Segment-first available forward collision alert and lane departure warning; and a standard rear-vision camera
The 2015 GMC Canyon is an all-new midsize truck that redefines the segment and raises the bar for everything from horsepower and efficiency to refinement – and it gives GMC one of the only three-truck lineups in the industry.
“The all-new Canyon is the segment’s first premium midsize truck, delivering class-leading capabilities with the brand’s signature refinement,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of GMC Sales and Marketing. “It’s an efficiently sized, maneuverable package for customers who want the cargo-hauling and trailering versatility of a truck without the size of a full-size pickup.”
Based on a proven global architecture and engineered for the unique demands and driving conditions of North American drivers, the new Canyon offers the segment’s best horsepower – 200 horsepower (149 kW) from a standard 2.5L I-4 and 305 horsepower (227 kW) from an available 3.6L V-6 – along with an available maximum trailering rating (when properly equipped) of 7,000 pounds (3,175 kg).
It also offers segment-best highway efficiency: EPA-estimated 27 mpg for 2.5L 2WD models and 26 mpg for 3.6L 2WD models, when properly equipped.
Canyon is the only truck in the segment to offer AutoTrac automatic four-wheel drive, which allows the driver to select manual 4WD engagement or automatic engagement.
“Not everyone needs full-size capability, but they still deserve strength and true-truck attributes that come in larger models. The Canyon will offer all the capability with confidence – and GMC’s signature refinement that complements active lifestyles,” said Aldred. “It also delivers the technology customers want with more standard features.”
Canyon is offered in base, SLE and SLT models, in 2WD and 4WD, and with an aggressively styled All-Terrain package offered on SLE models. It includes 17-inch painted aluminum wheels wrapped with all-terrain tires, a body-color grille surround with horizontal chrome bars, a body-color rear bumper, front tow hooks, hill descent control and specific suspension tuning. It also includes a power-adjustable front passenger seat.
Customer-focused technologies include available OnStar 4G LTE connectivity, segment-first available driver alert features such as forward collision alert, lane departure warning and a standard rear-vision camera.
OnStar with 4G LTE and its standard built-in Wi-Fi hotspot provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected. The hotspot is on whenever the car is on and comes with a three-month/three-gigabyte data trial, whichever comes first.
Designed for capability, comfort and refinement
Inside and out, the 2015 Canyon is pure GMC, with a quiet, refined interior distinguished by premium materials and a commanding exterior presence that emulates the technology-infused design aesthetic introduced on the 2014 Sierra 1500 and 2015 Sierra HD models.
Bold front-end styling incorporates the segment’s only standard projector beam headlamps and GMC’s signature LED daytime running lamps on all models. Three body configurations are offered: An extended cab model with a six-foot two-inch bed, a crew cab with a five-foot two-inch bed, and a crew cab with a six-foot two-inch bed. With the tailgate down, the longer bed allows eight-foot-long items to be hauled within the vehicle.
From a refinement standpoint, the Canyon features triple-sealed doors inlaid in the body sides, like the 2014 Sierra, for improved aerodynamic performance and a quiet interior. It also features the segment’s first active aero grille shutters, which close at certain highway speeds to enhance efficiency through improved aerodynamics.
And to help keep overall mass down and improve the front-to-rear weight balance, the Canyon features an all-new aluminum hood.
Additional features include:
- Segment-first CornerStep rear bumper design, pioneered on the 2014 Sierra, is standard. It is chrome on all models, except All Terrain, which is body-color
- Segment-first EZ Lift-and-Lower locking tailgate that uses an internal torsion bar to make raising the tailgate easier with one hand, and a damper for more-controlled lowering. It is standard on SLE and SLT models, and available on base models
- Thirteen reconfigurable and four stationary tie-down locations throughout the bed for use with available, removable cargo tie-down rings
- Available factory-installed spray-in bed liner
- Four-wheel disc brakes with Duralife™ rotors that can double the service life.
Work and lifestyle accessories were developed in tandem with the Canyon to match the truck’s capabilities with integrated functionality and designs the complement its distinctive styling. The lineup includes the all-new, patent-pending GearOn™ system and a variety of accessories designed to make cargo hauling easier and more convenient, as well as exterior styling enhancement and interior items.
The GearOn™ system is designed to fit perfectly within the bed, for significant storage and hauling flexibility. It is upgradable, with modular cargo dividers and tiered storage to accommodate 4 x 8-foot sheets of plywood above the wheelhouses. It also uses the box’s four permanent and 13 tie-down provisions to allow for a variety of secure and convenient cargo stowage options.
The interior of the 2015 Canyon is designed to be comfortable and well equipped, while delivering the connectivity features that are essential for customers with active lifestyles. The cabin also boasts exceptional attention to detail and premium materials such as soft-touch materials and aluminum trim on the instrument panel of SLE and SLT models.
With customers who also own or likely transitioned out of a car, the Canyon’s interior design blends elements of its full-size sibling, the Sierra, with those typically found in more personal vehicles such as sports coupes – including standard front bucket seats and a center console with a floor-mounted shifter.
Comfort is enhanced with technologies, connectivity and other features that support owners’ daily and recreational lives including a 3.5-inch-diagonal driver information screen in the instrument cluster (4.2-inch-diagonal multi-color display on SLE and SLT).
Interior colors choices include Jet Black, Jet Black/Dark Ash, Cocoa/Dune and Jet Black/Cobalt Red (All Terrain). Additional content for Canyon’s base, SLE and SLT models includes:
- 4.2-inch-diagonal color radio and USB port; six-speaker audio system
- Driver information center
- Air conditioning
- Power windows with driver’s express up and down
- Rear-vision camera system
- Driver’s four-way power-assisted seat adjuster with manual recline
- Cloth seating surfaces (vinyl available)
- Tilting steering wheel
- Available OnStar with 4G LTE and built-in Wi-Fi hotspot
- Available Convenience Package adds remote keyless entry, cruise control, rear defogger, theft-deterrent system and EZ-Lift tailgate.
Canyon SLE – includes all of the standard features of the base model, plus:
- Eight-inch-diagonal Color Touch radio with GMC IntelliLink; six-speaker audio system
- SiriusXM satellite radio (includes three-month trial)
- Available navigation system
- Available Bose® premium seven-speaker audio system
- Two USB ports for charging located on the rear of the center console in addition another USB port inside the console
- Overhead console
- Cruise control
- Rear defogger
- Multi-color driver information center display
- Soft-touch instrument panel with aluminum trim
- Dual reading lights
- Body-color door handles
- Auto-dimming inside rearview mirror
- Remote keyless entry
- Driver and front passenger four-way power seat adjusters with power lumbar control (All Terrain only)
- Heated front seats (All Terrain only)
- Tilting and telescoping steering column
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls
- Available Convenience Package adds automatic climate control and remote vehicle starter system
- Available sliding rear window (requires SLE Convenience Package)
- Available Driver Alert Package includes forward collision alert and lane departure warning (not available on All Terrain).
Canyon SLT – includes all of the standard features of the SLE model, plus:
- Automatic climate control
- Remote vehicle starter system
- Driver and front passenger four-way power seat adjusters with power lumbar control
- Leather-appointed seating
- Heated front seats
- Available navigation system
- Available Bose® premium seven-speaker audio system
- Available sliding rear window (late availability)
- Available Driver Alert Package includes forward collision alert and lane departure warning.
IntelliLink and OnStar 4G LTE
GMC IntelliLink is standard on SLE and SLT models, and available the base model. It combines with available OnStar to bring infotainment technology to Canyon at a time more and more consumers are buying smartphones. IntelliLink extends the OnStar experience from safety and security to information and entertainment by seamlessly integrating the capability of a smartphone into the vehicle so that hand-held phones may be safely stowed while driving.
Enhanced connectivity and convenience with IntelliLink includes text message support and Siri Eyes Free. With text message support, the driver can be alerted to new messages and can have them read aloud, view and respond to them with preset messages by voice (functionality depends on the smartphone). Siri Eyes Free enables iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 users to access Siri via the steering wheel controls and check calendar entries, have text messages read and respond to them, place calls or call up music.
Android phone users can also use the steering wheel controls to access their phone’s voice recognition features.
Additional IntelliLink features include:
- Hands-free voice control system, which allows simple voice commands to initiate phone calls and select radio stations or media from portable MP3 players and smart phones
- Pandora Internet radio allows users to create personalized radio stations based on favorite artists or genres (data rates apply)
- USB connectivity adds the ability to play music files directly from flash memory devices, and gives the customer the ability to update IntelliLink with future enhancements.
Complementing IntelliLink to enhance Canyon’s connectivity is new OnStar with 4G LTE and standard built-in Wi-Fi hotspot. It provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected. The hotspot is on whenever the vehicle is on and comes with a three-month/three-gigabyte data trial, whichever comes first.
4G LTE is the most current and fastest mobile data network – 10 times faster than 3G and 100 times faster than the 2G network. And with OnStar, customers have a powerful antenna built right in to the vehicle’s electrical system.
At the time of purchase, six months OnStar Directions and Connections includes all of OnStar’s advisor-based safety and security features, including Automatic Crash Response and Stolen Vehicle Assistance, as well as Turn-by-Turn navigation.
Five years of OnStar Basic Plan includes RemoteLink Key Fob Services, allowing owners to remotely start and lock/unlock a car (if properly equipped), and activate the horn and lights from anywhere with a data connection. It also includes OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics, which runs monthly checks of vehicle systems – including the engine, transmission and anti-lock brakes – and sends a diagnostic update to the owner via email; and Dealer Maintenance Notification, which sends a diagnostic report directly to a preferred dealer to simplify service scheduling. Basic plan does not include any emergency services.
The all-new GMC Canyon delivers the capability expected of a GMC truck, including offering a greater maximum payload – 1,620 pounds (735 kg) – than competitors and the segment’s best trailering rating: 7,000 pounds (3,175 kg), when properly equipped.
A fully boxed perimeter frame which provides the strength to support its capabilities, and a ride designed to be smooth and quiet. Like the full-size Sierra’s frame, the Canyon’s comprises three sections – or bays – with specific strength and support characteristics, including a front bay made of hydroformed side rails and an integrated four-point front axle mounting system designed to reduce vibration.
A coil-over-shock front suspension and the segment’s first electric power steering system help give the Canyon a very responsive driving quality, with a very direct feel to driver inputs.
The front suspension uses aluminum steering knuckles that are low in mass and high in strength, contributing to the responsive driving experience and enhancing efficiency. The electric power steering system also enhances efficiency because it does not draw power from the engine. Additionally, the Canyon has a tight turning radius of 41 feet (12.6 meters), making it easier to maneuver when parking or backing into tight spots, such as garages or campsites.
The rear axle is available with the GM’s venerable “G80” locking differential, which gives drivers a traction advantage when needed and everyday comfort when it’s not. It reacts in milliseconds in low-traction situations to improve safety and confidence on wet, snowy or muddy surfaces. Without driver input of any kind, the rear axle engages when a wheel speed difference of 100 rpm or more is detected between the left and right wheels, providing instant traction for confident driving. During normal driving conditions, the differential functions as a conventional light-bias limited-slip axle.
The G80 axle is available on SLE and SLT, and standard with the All-Terrain package.
Canyon is also offered with AutoTrac automatic four-wheel drive. It’s a segment-exclusive feature, employing an electronically controlled, two-speed transfer case that allows the driver to shift from 2WD to 4WD. The driver can select four modes, 2WD, Auto, 4WD HI, or 4WD Lo. By selecting Auto mode, the transfer case will operate in 2WD and will automatically apply traction to the front wheels (4WD) when the vehicle senses wheel slippage.
Duralife™ brake rotors
Four-wheel disc brakes, with four-piston front calipers, are standard and feature segment-first Duralife™ brake rotors – also pioneered on the 2014 Sierra. They can offer up to double the service life, which can help lower ownership costs.
They enhance braking performance, too, thanks to a GM-exclusive process that protects against rust that, over time, can lead to steering wheel shudder. It involves super-heating the rotors to more than 1,000 degrees F (560 C) for an entire day in a special oven, where the nitrogen-rich atmosphere promotes nitrogen atoms to bond to the rotors’ surfaces, hardening and strengthening them.
The larger, vented front brake rotors measure 12.2 inches (310 mm) in diameter and are complemented by 12.75-inch (324 mm) rear rotors. They’re optimized for the new Canyon’s mass, wheel size and other chassis dynamics.
Canyon also features auto grade braking, which uses the engine and transmission controls to slow the vehicle on a long downgrade, helping maintain vehicle speed and reducing the need for the driver to use the brakes.
The all-new, 2015 GMC Canyon delivers the most horsepower in the segment and the best V-6 efficiency, allowing owners to haul and tow more while using less fuel than competitors’ midsize trucks.
A 2.5L I-4 is standard and SAE-certified at 200 horsepower (149 kW) and 191 lb-ft of torque (259 Nm), with approximately 90 percent of the peak torque available from 2,000 rpm to 6,200 rpm. It also offers EPA-estimated 27 mpg on the highway (2WD), when properly equipped.
Canyon also offers a 3.6L V-6 certified at 305 horsepower (227 kW) and 269 lb-ft of torque (365 Nm) – and an EPA-estimated 26 mpg on the highway (2WD), when properly equipped.
Both of Canyon’s engines are based on award-winning engine families and tuned to deliver the low-rpm torque customers depend on for hauling and towing. Each incorporates features that enhance smoothness and quietness, contributing to the new truck’s exceptional refinement; and each is backed by a six-speed automatic transmission. A six-speed manual is available with the 2.5L engine in base extended cab/2WD models.
Advanced technologies including direct injection and continuously variable valve timing improve power and efficiency, while an aluminum block, forged-steel crankshaft, dual-overhead camshafts and jet-spray piston cooling are additional traits shared by the engines.
With 360 degrees of available active and passive safety technologies, Canyon is designed to help keep occupants safe on the road, with standard features including:
- Six air bags, including head curtain side air bags that can also reduce the risk of occupant ejection
- Large rearview mirrors and rear-vision camera system for greater visibility
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system with rollover mitigation technology, trailer sway control, hill start assist and hill descent control (All Terrain).
A Driver Alert Package is available on SLE and SLT models (except All Terrain), and includes segment-first forward collision alert and lane departure warning.
Manufacturing and factory support
Canyon is built at GM’s Wentzville, Mo. assembly plant, with globally sourced parts, which underwent a $513-million investment to support production of GM’s new midsize trucks.
GMC backs Canyon customers with the ProGrade protection program, delivering two years/24,000 miles (whichever comes first) of scheduled maintenance. It is standard on all models and covers four services of an oil change, tire rotation and 27-point inspection. It complements the three-year/36,000-mile (whichever comes first) bumper-to-bumper limited vehicle warranty and five-year/100,000-mile (whichever comes first) powertrain limited warranty for peace of mind.
2015 GMC CANYON 4WD SLE CREW LONG BOX QUICK TAKES
AS SHOWN INCLUDING ALL-TERRAIN PACKAGE, ASSIST STEPS, & SLE CONVENIENCE PACKAGE: TOTAL PRICE $38,915.00