2019 LEXUS GS F QUICK TAKES
TESTDRIVENOW OVERVIEW: 2019 LEXUS GS F QUICK TAKES
A midsize sport sedan with few compromises, the 2019 Lexus GS continues to offer a unique blend of pulse quickening performance, sumptuous luxury and world-class quality.
Powered by either a turbocharged four-cylinder (GS 300) or a velvet smooth V6 (GS 350), the GS provides the performance feel of a rear-wheel drive sport sedan along with the everyday efficiency and comfort of a true luxury car. For cold-weather climates, the GS 350 is also available with the added confidence of all-wheel drive traction.
All GS models offer the peace of mind that comes with one of the industry’s more comprehensive standard safety systems. The Lexus Safety System+ includes a Pre-Collision System (PCS) with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert (LDA) with Steering Assist, Intelligent High Beams (IHB) and All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control. A Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) is also standard.
The Stance and Style of a True Sport Sedan
With classic proportions that are enhanced by its solid stance, the GS proudly wears the Lexus signature grille that gives it such an eye-catching look.
Framed by satin chrome trim and flanked by distinctive standard Bi-LED headlights, the aggressive front fascia is unmistakably Lexus. Standard 17-inch, nine-spoke alloy wheels compliment the stylish silhouette of the GS while a choice of 12 exterior colors allows buyers to choose everything from subtle blacks and silvers to vivid colors like Matador Red Mica or Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0.
Two Powerful Engines and Optional All-Wheel Drive
The 2019 GS line offers two distinct powertrain choices, each with its own performance signature. The GS 300 pairs a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine with an eight-speed automatic transmission that sends the power to the rear wheels. The turbocharged engine not only delivers 241 horsepower, it also capable of sustaining its 258 lb.-ft. of torque from 1,650 rpm all the way through 4,400 rpm. The result is a GS 300 that feels responsive during everyday driving, yet also returns 33-mpg on the highway in preliminary estimates.
A muscular, yet refined 3.5-liter V6 powers all GS 350 models. Developing 311 hp and 280 lb.-ft. of torque, the flexible engine sends it power through an eight-speed automatic transmission on rear wheel drive models. A combination of direct fuel injection and sequential port fuel injectors ensures that the V6 is capable of delivering ample power and crisp responsiveness.
For added grip in a variety of conditions, the Lexus GS 350 offers an available all-wheel drive (AWD) system that sends power to all four wheels through a six-speed automatic transmission and an electronically controlled center differential. Under normal driving conditions, the center differential uses a 30:70 front-to-rear torque split to deliver optimal handling. The system is also capable of sending as much as 50 percent of the power to the front wheels to optimize traction.
The Added Appeal of F SPORT
For those who would prefer a GS with a little more edge, the F SPORT package can be added to any version of the GS. Upgrading to the F SPORT package combines track-tuned chassis enhancements with exclusive exterior and interior design features for a more distinctive look and feel.
Every F SPORT package includes a specially tuned Adaptive Variable Suspension, 19-inch split spoke alloy wheels, a Sport+ drive mode, LFA-inspired instrumentation and sport seats with a 16-way, power adjustable driver’s seat. Rear-wheel drive models can also be equipped with Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS) and 14-inch, two-piece brake rotors with 4-piston, monoblock calipers. Optional equipment on rear-wheel drive F SPORT models includes a TORSEN® limited slip rear differential, the Lexus Dynamic Handling (LDH) system with Dynamic Rear Steering (DRS) and orange brake calipers.
Styling enhancements on all F SPORT models include a unique front bumper, revised grille and rear valence and a rear spoiler.
On the inside, the F SPORT package adds aluminum trim, a black headliner and aluminum pedals.
Modern Luxury With Classic Style
A design that mixes both modern and classic luxury elements, the GS cabin provides a comfortable space that will satisfy drivers and passengers alike.
That ambience is exemplified by interior trim selections in Matte Walnut, Naguri aluminum or Striated Black and an interior color palette that includes Chateau, Flaxen or Black. F SPORT models also offer an eye-catching Rioja Red option.
The interior design sets the stage for pure Lexus luxury with a long list of standard amenities. Inside the GS you’ll find 10-way power front seats, an 8-inch high-resolution central control screen, power tilt-and-telescoping steering column with automatic tilt-away, Siri® Eyes Free Mode and a 12-speaker, 5.1 surround sound system. All GS 350 models get standard leather seating trim and a navigation system with a 12.3-inch screen.
Comprehensive Safety Comes Standard
The Lexus GS remains a rolling testament to the brand’s pursuit of cutting-edge safety technology.
Its robust structure and 10 standard airbags are designed to lessen the chance of injury in a crash, while a wide array of driver-assist technologies helps the driver avoid hazards.
Every GS comes with the Lexus Safety System+ which includes a Pre-Collision System (PCS) with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert (LDA) with Steering Assist, Intelligent High Beam (IHB) and All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control.
All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control tracks the speed of the vehicle traveling ahead and is designed to adjust the speed setting accordingly to help maintain a preset distance. Using a combination of millimeter-wave radar and a front-facing camera, PCS can help detect vehicles – and in some circumstances a pedestrian. The system can warn the driver of a possible collision and can initiate automatic braking if necessary.
Using a camera to detect visible lane markings, Lane Departure Alert is designed to convey audio-visual alerts and vibrate the steering wheel if the system determines that the driver is deviating from the lane. Lane Departure Alert, with Steering Assist enabled, can help the vehicle stay in its lane by smoothly increasing steering torque and applying a small amount of assist to help maintain course.
Intelligent High Beam combines technology, safety and driving courtesy. It automatically adjusts high- and low-beam illumination by sensing not only oncoming traffic, but also the taillights of the vehicle traveling in front.
Lexus Enform for Safety and Convenience
Lexus Enform Safety Connect is complimentary for the first 10 years of ownership with access to Lexus Enform response centers 24/7/365. With Lexus Enform Service Connect, also complimentary for the first 10 years of ownership, the GS can send alerts for specific factory recommended maintenance, simultaneously alerting a preferred Lexus retailer. The Lexus Drivers mobile app or LexusDrivers.com website can be used to set push-reminders and alerts for maintenance and service issues.
With Lexus Enform Remote (one-year trial subscription included), the customer can remotely view and control certain aspects of the GS using a smartphone, smartwatch or Amazon Alexa-enabled devices at home. The available functions include: remote door lock/unlock, remote start/stop for the engine and climate control, vehicle finder, guest driver monitor and more. Navigation is accompanied by the Lexus Enform Destination Services (complimentary for one year) and subscription-free Lexus Enform App Suite 2.0.
Standard Exterior Features
- 17-inch nine-spoke alloy wheels (GS 300), 18-inch five-spoke alloy wheels (GS 350)
- LED Daytime Running Lamps
- Bi-LED headlamps
- LED turn signals and rear combination lamps
- Integrated dual exhaust outlets with lateral fins
- Heated electrochromic auto-dimming retractable side mirrors with reverse tilt-down function
- Side mirror puddle lamps with integrated turn signals
- One-touch open/close moonroof
- Exterior colors (12): Eminent White Pearl, Liquid Platinum, Smokey Granite Mica, Obsidian, Matador Red Mica, Deep Sea Mica, Fire Agate Pearl, Nightfall Mica, Atomic Silver, Caviar, and F SPORT exclusive Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 or Ultra White
Standard Interior Features
- Contrast stitching on soft vinyl wrapped upper I/P, seats, door panels and shift boot
- Aluminum alloy “Lexus” stamped scuff plates on all door sills
- LED ambient lighting integrated into door ornamentation and RTI surround area
- 10-way power driver and front passenger seats
- 8-inch high resolution central control screen
- Lexus Analog clock with GPS time zone functionality
- Optitron analog instrument cluster with color 4.2-inch TFT Multi-Information Display
- Remote Touch Interface (RTI) with enter and back buttons
- Steering wheel multimedia, cruise control and multi-information display controls
- Electrochromic rearview mirror with compass (without Navigation) and HomeLink® programmable garage door opener
- Lexus Memory System to control driver’s seat (except lumbar), outside mirrors and steering wheel
- Power tilt-and-telescopic steering wheel with automatic tilt-away
- Rear A/C vents on the back of center console
- Lexus Navigation System with 12.3-inch High Resolution Screen (GS 350)
Standard Audio System
- 12 speakers
- 5.1 surround sound
- Advanced voice recognition
- AM/FM/DVD with HD radio and WMA/MP3 capability
- Aux and iPhone®/USB input plugs
- Bluetooth streaming
- Digital signal processing with Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL)
- Gracenote music management system
- Integrated SiriusXM® Satellite Radio receiver (90-day trial subscription)
Multimedia and Connected Services
- Home screen divided into three sections (customizable for HVAC, audio, traffic, MID)
- Navigation equipped vehicles
- 3D buildings; key buildings/landmarks
- Speed limit display on road traveled
- Predictive traffic; provides view of traffic ahead based on Clear Channel Total Traffic Network
- Doppler weather and weather forecast
- MID data sharing; content from head unit displayed in MID (e.g. song information, NAV direction, call info.)
- Voice Command
- Cache Radio; ability to pause live AM/FM radio and HD Radio
- Lexus Enform Remote (one-year trial subscription included) mobile app lets you lock and unlock doors, start the engine and climate controls, check the fuel level, and more all through your smartphone, smartwatch or Amazon Alexa–enabled devices at home
Standard Safety and Security
- Lexus Safety System+
- Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection
- All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
- Intelligent High Beam (IHB)
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA) with Steering Assist
- Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system integrates and manages ECB, ABS, BA, EBD, VSC and Electric Power Steering (EPS)
- Access-linked illuminated entry: puddle lamps, interior lights and engine start button ring illuminate when doors are unlocked (remains illuminated for 15 seconds or until door is opened)
- Entry system with lock, two-stage unlock, trunk open and “panic” features, volume-adjustable confirmation tone and rolling code technology
- Headlight off delay feature: After locking vehicle, headlights remain illuminated for a certain period of time before automatically shutting off
- Complimentary for the first 10 years, Lexus Enform Safety Connect includes an Emergency Assistance Button (SOS), Roadside Assistance, Automatic Collision Notification, and Stolen Vehicle Notification. The Lexus Enform response center operates 24/7/365
Factory Option Packages
- Cold Weather Package (GS 350 AWD Only)
- Heavy duty heater
- Headlamp washers
- Water repellant front door glass
- Wiper Deicer
- Premium Package (Standard on ES 350 RWD)
- Heated front seats (Standard on ES 350 AWD)
- Ventilated front seats
- Leather-trimmed interior (GS 350 AWD only)
- Power rear sunshade
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Navigation Package
- 12.3-inch High Resolution Screen
- Full screen navigation
- Lexus Enform App Suite app which offers access to mobile applications such as iHeartRadio, Slacker and Yelp through the vehicle’s center console display
- Lexus Enform Destination Assist (complimentary for one year) acts as an in-vehicle personal concierge, providing directions and destinations delivered by a live agent
- F SPORT Package
- 16-way power adjustable driver’s seat (includes power side bolsters, thigh support, four-way lumbar)
- 19-inch staggered width split five-spoke wheels with machined finish; summer tires for RWD, single width with all-season tires for AWD
- F SPORT badging (side and rear)
- F SPORT tuned Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) with Sport S+ mode
- Larger front brakes with hi-friction pads (RWD only)
- Rear lip spoiler
- F SPORT interior including: striated aluminum trim, F SPORT aluminum pedals and door scuff plates, unique perforated leather trim (Rioja Red, Flaxen or Black) and black headliner
- F SPORT front bumper and rear lower valence; F SPORT mesh front grille inserts
- Naguri aluminum trim
- Variable Gear Ratio Steering (GS 350 RWD only)
- LFA-inspired instrumentation
Individual Factory Options
- Mark Levinson® Premium Surround Sound Audio system with 17 Green Edge speakers, Class D Digital amplifier with ultra-low crossover distortion, 835 watts of continuous power at less than 0.1 percent Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), 7.1-channel speaker architecture, DVD video capability, Clari-Fi technology
- Triple beam LED Headlamps with Auto High Beam
- 19” split five-spoke alloy wheels; 18-inch five spoke wheel with machined finish (GS 300)
- TORSEN® limited slip differential (GS 350 F SPORT RWD)
- Full color Head Up Display
- Heated steering wheel
- Intuitive Park Assist
- Power open/close trunk
- Orange brake calipers (F SPORT RWD only); Lexus Dynamic Handling System with Dynamic Rear Steering (GS 350 RWD F SPORT Only)